D-I-Y cookie stamps and pleated cookie wrapping
November 28, 2010 § 19 Comments
It’s that wonderful time of year when our regular household kitchens are converted ad hoc into ambitious cookie factories. Over the years, you’ve probably collected an extensive inventory of cookie-making gadgets and supplies, all of which have eaten through a bit of your holiday budget. This holiday season, instead of heading out to the store for another investment (five dollars here and there do add up), you can design and make your own cookie stamps to emboss your sugar cookies. They’re absolutely inexpensive to make and add a special touch to your creations. Then wrap your beautifully embossed sugar cookies in beautifully pleated packages.
I often work backwards when creating most of my favors, as I did for this project. I found this striking holly berry-printed tissue paper first, before it became the inspiration for the theme of my cookie stamps. This project is also very suitable for making monogrammed cookies, for a more personal touch.
1. Using a pair of scissors, cut your plastic sheet into a circle. The size depends on the cookie cutter you will be using to cut the cookies. If you would like an embossed border around the perimeter of your cookie, cut the circle smaller than the size of your cookie cutter. Draw your desired image with a pencil.
2. Take a sharp X-Acto knife and cut an opening in your image, then slide in a pair of scissors and cut the image.
3. Thoroughly wash and dry your cookie stamps and it’s time for stamping!
4. Take your favorite sugar cookie recipe. Press the stamp onto the rolled cookie dough with your fingers. You can use the tip of a knife to lift the stamp off the cookie.
5. Cut the cookies with a cookie cutter and you’re ready to bake!
For beautifully wrapped cookies, you will need tissue paper, printed labels, and tape. Buying circle labels can be expensive, so if you already have a circle punch at home (as I do), simply print your label design on a regular sheet of paper, punch into circles, and adhere with tape.
1. Layer two sheets of tissue paper and cut into a circle about three times the diameter of your cookies. Stack the cookies in the center.
2. Fold and pleat the tissue paper all the way around the cookies.
3. Adhere your label.
May all your days of cookie-making and cookie-giving be merry and bright!