cupcake liner necklace
September 24, 2011 § 3 Comments
What can you do with a few cupcake liners and a couple feet of brass chain from the hardware store? Why, make a necklace, of course!
This super easy, inexpensive, and surprising D-I-Y fashion craft is one I wanted to post over the summer before I got sidetracked by summer. But it’s not too late! So long as it’s not a rainy fall day, there is still lots of sunshine to be flaunting this fun, feminine, flirty necklace!
Yes! It is what I wore in my D-I-Y engagement photos in August. I wore it then with two flowers and wish now, in hindsight, that I wore three.
You will need cupcake liners (waxed is best), brass chain in your preferred length (they are typically around 45 cents per foot; for this project I used exactly 4 feet and paid $1.80), scissors, and ribbon.
1. Trim off about 1/8″ of one cupcake liner.
2. For each cupcake liner, trim off an additional 1/8″ than the previous size. You will have cupcake liners that descend in size. I suggest 5 for large flowers; smaller flowers can be made with 3 or 4 cupcake liners.
3. Stack all cupcake liners and align so that they are centered. Fold the stack in half, with all cupcake liners facing out. Cut two very small slits, about 1/2″ apart, ensuring the slits are just wide enough to carefully slide the chain through. Large cuts will cause the flowers to loosely slide along the chain.
4. Carefully slide the chain through one slit of each cupcake liner, starting from largest to smallest. It is best to keep the cupcake liners 1/2″ to 1″ apart at this stage.
5. Slide the chain through the second slit of each cupcake liner, similar to sewing a two-holed button. Gather the cupcake liners to form a stack.
6. Fold the stack in half.
7. Pinch and fold towards the center.
8. Unfold to reveal a flower.
9. Layer as many flowers and chains as you please.
10. Thread a ribbon through the ends of the chain.
11. Tie a bow to close the chain(s).
Flaunt it. Feel fun, feminine, and flirty!
so chic,but yet so simple.great!!
very creative so beautiful 🙂