April 21, 2011 § 35 Comments
Tomorrow is Earth Day! In order to celebrate and honor our planet, I’ve salvaged some cartons and jars from being thrown into the landfill and woven the cartons into this pair of bright vases.
I made them in theme of the beautiful colors of our globe: the warp and weft are in cool blue and vivid green hues, and the vases are topped off with beautiful white clouds of hydrangeas. Just the kind of décor my kitchen table needs this spring!
1. Cut the cartons to preferred height, making sure that they are taller than the jar for containing the water for your bouquet. Paint the cartons. If you want your vases to be a single color, you may skip this step for now and paint after the cartons are woven.
2. For each vase: cut one carton into 1/2″ strips vertically, making sure not to cut out the bottom, and cut the second carton into 1/2″ strips horizontally.
3. Start weaving by sliding the horizontal strips into alternating vertical strips.
4. Continue weaving until you reach the top and glue the top pieces together so the basket weave does not come undone.
5. Fill your jar with water and place inside the woven carton and arrange your favorite spring blooms.
Happy Earth Day!